Competing your Appaloosa
Appaloosas can do absolutely anything. Whether you’re a competitive trail rider, show jumper, eventer, western rider or you do a bit of everything, the Appaloosa is your horse. It’s not unusual to see an Appaloosa doing all of those things and more.
When you’re a member of ApHANZ and you compete with a registered Appaloosa, you have the chance to vie for a variety of Awards:
- annual awards – using your points from August to July each year
- national show awards – using points gained at the annual nationals
- lifetime awards – using all points ever calculated
- saddle log awards – based on your hours in the saddle
Contact the Office for information on how to go about collect your points for the various disciplines and the correct points books etc.
There are a number of factors that will determine the eligibility of points for any one competition.
- The Organisation (or rules) the event is being run under
- The Type of classes – not all classes are eligible
- Number of horses competing in the class, show or event
- Qualifying or Completion
For full details on this please refer to the Breed Handbook $10 available from the Office.
Points Recognised Organisations
ApHANZ recognises points earned (from placing’s) in competition when events are run under the jurisdiction of the following organisations:
- American Quarterhorse Assn. NZ
- Federation of NZ Hunt Clubs
- NZ Arab Society
- NZ Cutting Horse Assn.
- NZ Endurance
- Equestrian Sports NZ
- NZ Hack & Hunter Society
- NZ Horse Society
- NZ Polo Assn.
- NZ Polo Crosse Assn.
- NZ Pony Club Assn.
- NZ Thoroughbred Marketing
- NZ Rodeo Assn.
- NZ Thoroughbred Racing
- NZ Western Riding Federation
- Royal Agricultural Society
Points Recognised Disciplines & Classes
- Adult Showmanship at Halter
- Western Riding
- Working Cowhorse
- Hunter under Saddle
- Hunter Hack
- Show Jumping
- Sport Horse
- Horse Trials (Eventing)
- Show Hunter
- Open English
- Excludes Halter / In-Hand Classes
- Youth Classes
- Walk & Trot
- Leadine Special
- Youth Costume
- Western Performance
- English Performance
Endurance & Competitive Trail Rides (CTR)